Welcome to the enriching world of mushroom cultivation with Hearty Growers!
Our Lion's Mane Grow Kit is designed to make growing these unique and nutritious mushrooms an enjoyable and successful venture, right from the comfort of your own home. This guide provides step-by-step instructions to ensure a bountiful harvest.
- Unpack Your Kit: Gently remove the fully incubated Lion's Mane substrate block from its packaging. This block contains all the necessary nutrients for your mushrooms.
- Location: Choose a spot for your kit. Lion's Mane prefers cool temperatures (15-24°C / 60-75°F) and indirect light.
- Prepare the Block: Make a small incision in the plastic bag. This encourages mushroom growth at the open point.
- Humidity and Ventilation: Lion's Mane needs a humid environment. Mist the substrate lightly 2-3 times a day to maintain moisture without soaking the block.
Caring for Your Mushrooms:
- Watering: Use a spray bottle to mist the substrate, keeping it consistently moist (2-3 times a day).
- Air Circulation: Ensure the grow area has some air movement but avoid direct drafts on the kit.
- Watch for Signs: In a week or so, you’ll notice small icicle-like formations emerging from the cuts. These will develop into Lion's Mane mushrooms.
- Growth Progress: The mushrooms will grow daily. Monitor their development and maintain the environment. The mushroom growth will initially be baby pink, turning bone white all over while the spines develop.
- When to Harvest: The best time to harvest is when the mushrooms are fully formed, and the spines begin to elongate and straighten. Some white parts of the mushroom will start to turn yellow. When there is no pink left and yellowing is starting, that is when it is time to harvest.
- Harvest Technique: Gently twist and pull the mushrooms from the block.
Enjoying Your Harvest:
Culinary Uses: Lion’s Mane mushrooms are known for their health benefits and delicious, meaty texture. Enjoy them sautéed, in soups, or as a meat substitute in various recipes.
Storage: Freshly harvested Lion’s Mane can be stored in a refrigerator for up to a week. For longer preservation, consider drying or freezing them.
Post-Harvest Care: After harvesting, your grow kit may be ready for a second or even third flush of growth. Give it a rest for a day, then submerge in water overnight for 10-12 hours to rehydrate, then resume misting. Please note that each subsequent harvest takes longer due to a finite amount of energy being in the block.
Our Promise & Grow Guarantee: We're on this journey with you! We guarantee each kit to produce at least one bountiful harvest of Lion's Mane mushrooms, though many experience 2-3 fruitful harvests. Should you face any hiccups, our dedicated team is here to guide you.